Zoning & Subdivision Ordinance Update
Town of Abingdon
The Berkley Group has completed a comprehensive update to the Town of Abingdon’s Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances. The project created a single, streamlined ordinance that is user friendly, compliant with the Code of Virginia, and addresses community needs.
The project was conducted in a phased approach and included a diagnostic of the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances and adoption of content-neutral sign regulations in 2020, then proceeded with community engagement and drafting the remaining portions of the ordinance. Some of the community identified priorities were:
· Aligning the ordinances with the newly adopted Comprehensive Plan;
· Preserving historic areas of the Town;
· Providing community design guidelines to beautify entrance corridors and commercial areas;
· Creating new housing opportunities; and,
· Consolidating and modernizing uses and definitions.
The final adopted Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance includes modernized uses and use standards, reduced housing barriers, new community design standards, additional Architectural Review Board roles and responsibilities, and compliance with Code of Virginia. The newly adopted and fully illustrated Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance was adopted January 2023.